The historical places in Pune are a great tribute to the grandeur of the Maratha rulers and ancient Indians who lived here. One can learn a lot about the history and culture of ancient India by observing these monuments, such as the famous Aga Khan Palace, or the many historical places such as Shaniwar Wada and Shinde’s Chatri.
Aga Khan Palace
The mighty edifice of Aga Khan Palace is situated in Pune and was built by Sultan Muhammed Shah Aga Khan III in the year 1892. It is one of the most important landmarks in Indian history and has been instrumental in many defining moments of India’s independence. It was once the site where Mahatma Gandhi, his wife Kasturba Gandhi, as well as Sarojini Naidu and Mahadev Desai were held prisoners. Aga Khan Palace is well known both for its architectural excellence as well as its historical significance. Spread over a vast land of 19 acres, the palace is now the headquarters of the Gandhi National Memorial society. Here, making khadi is still one of the prime activities.
Shaniwarwada, once the seat of the Peshwa governance in Pune is a 286-year-old mansion and is one of the finest examples of architecture in the city. It is now one of the most popular tourist destinations in Maharashtra.
Lal Mahal located near Shaniwar Wada in Pune is a historic landmark of the 16th century. Subject to innumerable attacks and initial revival, the palace has significant stories to tell. It was first restored by Shivaji Maharaj’s father Shahaji Bhosle for his family to stay in the 1630s. From being a childhood home for Chhatrapati Shivaji to taking Shaistekhan head-on, this red coloured structure is an architectural marvel depicting craftsmanship and culture of that time.
Located in Wanwadi in Pune, Shinde Chhatri is a memorial dedicated to the 18th century military leader Shri Mahadji Shinde who served as commander-in-chief under the Peshwas from 1760s to the 1780s.. Flanked by Bhairoba stream on the right, the imposing monument stands tall as a memoir and reminiscent of the gala Maratha period. The memorial aka the ‘chhatri’ meaning umbrella, is situated right next to an ancient Shiva temple and boasts of Anglo- Rajasthani architecture with carvings on black and yellow stone. The central hall is the cremation point of the Mahadji Shinde who was cremated here on the 12th of February, 1794 CE.